Friday, July 26, 2013

You need this...

...cookbook. Really, you do.

I have bought my fair share of cookbooks I hardly use. I am a sucker for good design and beautiful books just make me a little weak in the knees. So does good food.



But a beautiful cookbook isn't always a good cookbook. Some of them make you spend your entire weekly grocery budget on just one or two recipes. Or make you go to a tiny tropical store that you can never find. Okay, I live in a big city, so if I tried I could probably get it. But I am also a bit lazy. Others promise mouthwatering dishes that look like heaven, but they turn out to be way to sour, too salty, too - you name it -. And they never, I mean never, come out looking like that gorgeous photograph.


And then I bought Veg! Yes, it was the sucker for beauty in me that picked it up. Then I felt that deliciously heavy matte paper. I almost immediately decided right then and there that this beauty was mine, but before running happily to the counter I could get myself to take a look at the lists of ingredients first. Nothing too long or too strange. But you never really know until you start using it.

Of course I bought it. And I am so happy I did. This is my all time favorite cookbook. I flip the pages and see something delicious on every page and it actually looks like it's really quite simple. And it is! If you are used to cooking with fresh ingredients, you really don't need to get that much for a recipe.

It's over 400 pages, 200 recipes, it's all veggies and it's all good.

One of my favorites is the fresh flat bread (you can really use for everything and is so simple & delicious) with spicy pumpkin (page 189 / Dutch version). I have made recipes from this book for friends many times and it's always a success. I find myself using this book almost everyday.

Dutch: Veg! Het River Cottage boek met groenten in de hoofdrol - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
English: River Cottage Veg - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

No comments:

Post a Comment